Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Four days down, one to go...

Today I completed day 4 of a 5 day workshop on phonemic awareness. The county is requiring ALL certified staff K-5 to receive the training by 2011. I know that we should all be highly qualified to help students, but do the PE, Art, & Music teachers really need to be paid $200 a day to sit in this workshop on something they will probably never use? That seems like a giant waste of money to me... Even for me, as a 5th grade teacher, I wonder if this is a good use of the counties money to be paying me. Phonics/Phonemic Awareness is something that is usually taught on the K-1st grade level, so the odds of a student coming to me with severe deficits in this area is going to be few and far between... and if I was to have a student who could not read on a K or 1st grade level, I would be seeking assistance from the CCR teacher, the literacy coach, & the reading recovery teachers. A student who is that behind would take INTENSIVE remediation (we're talking 3-4 years of remediation) for them to get to grade level. That is more than I could provide for them in the classroom with 25-30 other students & that would mean he/she would need to be pulled out by one of these professionals for individualized instruction... But I did learn a lot, and I guess I will be prepared if I ever move to a lower grade (even though I never would. I love the older ones. You can be sarcastic with them & they actually get it!)

One more day in August of this training to go...

On another note, I am seriously considering trading my car in. When I moved here 3 years ago I left my '95 neon in NY and decided to purchase one down here. Sales tax on cars in NY is 8% and in NC its 3% so that was an easy decision. I had just graduate college, I didnt have any credit, I hadn't started my teaching job officially yet, and I had no down payment because I needed all of my money for my deposit on my apartment & to buy a new bed. I went to Toyota & they told me they would have no problem putting me in a car ASAP. I told the woman what I was looking for, and she found me a Corolla with the features I wanted & scheduled for it to have the spoiler & tints put on a few days later. She made it easy, so I didnt really want to shop around. I love my car, don't get me wrong. I get great gas milage, its roomy, and has a HUGE trunk which is nice when I travel back to NY with 3 dogs. However, I've been having dreams lately about trading my car in for a Mitsubishi Lancer. I'm in love with the way the new models look. As of right now I owe about 7K on my car which is worth between 8K-9k on a trade-in. If I could get 8K or 9K, I really think I might end up doing it. The only thing is, I REFUSE to drive automatic cars. I hate, hate, HATE them. I think they are so boring to drive.... Manual transmissions are becoming harder and harder to find. They don't make that many any more, and the ones they do make are snatched up quickly... I think once Steven comes home from this deployment & trades in his Cadillac for the truck he wants, I might just have to go for it :)

2 comments:

  1. Phonemic Awareness, how I hate it! I feel the same way. Teaching middle school science should have nothing to do with it, but somehow I have taken 3 classes that are based around it!

    Also, my brother has an 08 lancer and I love it, I say go for it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I had to take a whole course on it, I think I might have to stab my eyes out. lol. I only got it in one of my core classes during my last semester before student teaching... and even then we didnt get that much of it.

    I think I might have to get the lancer. I just have to find one that has everything I want. lol

    ReplyDelete