Wednesday, September 22, 2010

"I need to start eating healthy."

Since the hubs has been home, we have not been following the best eating habits. He wants to eat all of the things he couldnt get while in the sandbox, plus, we've been going places & doing things so often that we've been eating fast food way too much.

Two weeks ago my darling husband proclaims that he needs to start eating healthier in preparation for Airborne School, which will be happening at the beginning of next month. In my mind I think: GREAT! I need to start eating healthier too! Plus, it will be easier since I will have him to help me eat the fresh produce before it rots. Unfortunately, his idea of eating healthy, and mine were TOTALLY different. He meant no more fast food, while I meant whole grains & veggies. I found this out in the middle of a Walmart aisle when we got into a rather lengthy fight because I told him I didnt want to make something because it wasnt healthy. To which I was told to "just pick out whatever because he was done telling me what he wanted to eat since none of it was healthy." Gee thanks!

In the end, he's been a pretty good sport about the whole eating healthier. I'm slowly trying to introduce more chicken, and less red meat. We're eating salads with our dinner a couple of times a week. He even eats whole wheat pasta without complaining. As long as I dont put something with PEAS in it (or anything that sounds like pea, ie chickpeas) in front of him, he's willing to try it.

For those of you who are also dieting, here are a few meals that I have made recently. They're not "diet" food per-say, but I subbed in a few healthy choices to get my hubs to eat them.

Meat & Potatoes: Instead of making mashed potatoes, I made mashed cauliflower. Although cauliflower is not the healthiest of vegetables, it's better than eating a potato. Boil the fresh cauliflower just like you would a potato, then mash it up with a hand mixer. I add a little bit of light soy milk (I dont drink regular milk fast enough & it always went bad, so I switched to soy milk. It's a little sweeter, but it still does the trick. If you like chocolate milk, I highly recommend the chocolate soy, it's DELISH) a little bit of light "I can't believe it's not butter," and a dash of garlic salt. Top it with a little bit of cheese, and it's really yummy :) I've also mashed it up and added a little bit of Queso Cheese to it, which is really good as well.
Photobucket

Chicken Alfredo
Need: Whole wheat linguine (I can't find fettucini, so I use this) chicken breast, olive oil, italian seasoning, garlic salt, heavy cream, butter (I use I cant believe it's not butter), shredded parmesan cheese
Boil pasta.
Chicken: dice chicken & put in a skillet with olive oil, italian seasoning & garlic salt. Cook chicken completely.
Alfredo sauce: 1 cup of heavy cream, 1/2 a cup of shredded parmesan cheese, 1/4 butter. Cook until cheese is melted.
Drain pasta & pour sauce over it. It will take a few minutes to thicken. Drain the olive oil from the chicken & add to the pasta & sauce mixture. It's not really healthy, but if you sub the whole wheat pasta and the "fake" butter into it, then the only unhealthy parts are the heavy cream & the cheese.
(Picture coming soon, the hubs has been asking for this. lol)

Hopefully he let's me continue to make healthy choices while still letting him eat what he likes to eat (for the most part)... and I will continue to post me healthy-choice recipes for ya'll :)

No comments:

Post a Comment