Thursday, December 2, 2010

*%#@*%! Thermostat...

Over the summer our AC stopped working. It was 80 degrees in the house when the thermostat read 65 degrees. We used our home warrantee that the sellers had given us to get a repair man out here. Three visits later, he finally realized that it was the actual thermostat that was broken, not the AC unit. He replaced the fancy $300 large touch screen thermostat, and replaced it with a much cheaper version with only 5 buttons.  At first I was slightly peeved that they were downgrading us so much, but honestly, the other one did WAY too much for me, and this one was pretty simple... and at that point, I was just happy my house was finally cooling off.

Today I broke down & decided to turn on the heat. I was holding off as long as possible because last month was the first month that our electric has been under $100 since spring, and I was hoping to keep it that way a little longer. However, it was a chilly 63 degrees in my house when I got home. Brrrrrr!

Long story short, I managed to screw up the simple 5 button thermostat, and now it's set on vacation mode, and I can't get it off! Grrrrrrrrr! I just want my house to be a few degrees warmer! It's times like these that I wish the hubster was home so that he could work his magic and fix it. I like to think I'm quite competent when it comes to technology, but not when it comes to thermostats! Counting down the days until he can fix my mess...


4 comments:

  1. Awww, I'm sorry.. I also had a problem with my AC this summer.. It kept freezing up. They had to come fix it three or four times and kept blaming me until they realized that the capacitor (or compressor?) was out.. It always went out on the weekend and unfortunately, our realty company doesn't have emergency maintenance. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sucks when we break something and then men are nowhere to fix it. Figures. I hope you getting back to normal soon, I get cold way too easily!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had the same thing happen, except it was at my parents house! I was there for a few days over spring break while they were in Florida just to unwind before I met them down there. I thought I had turned it up but I woke up and it was 58 degrees and they had turned off the hot water, so I got one good shower in, the night before. I ended up getting on the plane all funky and couldn't wait to get down to FL just so I could shower.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We had a bunch of issues with our thermostat this summer, too! We had maintenance out here 5 different times. The last time they came out, I told them to just fix the underlying PROBLEM rather than sugarcoating what they thought it could be. I was beyond frustrated.

    Knock on wood, we haven't had any problems with the heat, and hopefully we'll be out of here before there is anymore problems. Crossing our fingers!

    ReplyDelete