Sunday, December 12, 2010

Wedding Planning

I'm following quite a few blogs about ladies who are right in the midst of wedding planning. Although I love reading about other people's weddings, that was not what I would have wanted for myself. I have bad anxiety laced with OCD and if someone would have done something that made my strategically planned wedding not quite perfect, they might not have lived to see another day. Plus, I'm a simple country girl, and wearing a $3,000 dress did not sound like a good idea to me.

I always used to tell my friend, who I lovingly call my partner in crime, that she would some day get a call from me in Vegas. I think getting married by Elvis is a hysterical image. We didnt get married in Vegas by Elvis, don't worry. We got married in the court house here. We sat with a bunch of other military couples in a waiting room. As one couple was called into the next room, they were replaced by another couple also looking to get married that day. They called us into the little "chapel" for a maybe 10 minute ceremony. It was way easier in my eyes to do it this way. I don't even have any pictures of us that day, because at the time, it didnt really matter to me. We went out to eat with our witnesses, and spent the rest of the night watching movies in bed.

My parents did throw us a reception this past Labor Day. It was very low key and consisted of grilled foods, and side salads rather than fancy finger foods.  I wore a simple knee length white dress with my cowboy boots. We had fireworks at the end of the night, and my dad's crazy relatives provided the "entertainment." Here are a few pictures from our reception...

Photobucket
My Nanny & Auntie Joan being cold

Photobucket
So happy to be having his picture taken

Photobucket
Cheese!

Photobucket
The band-My dads side (he's playing the drums)

Photobucket
My grams

Photobucket
My daddy-o... the grill master

Photobucket
My cousin-in-law Tyler & me

Photobucket
Partiers

Photobucket
This is what happens when you let the hubster pick the cake topper

Photobucket
With some of my aunts-This was their first time meeting them & all they could talk about is how cute my hubster is. lol

Photobucket
Cake smashing

Photobucket
Sad about the icing in my nose

Photobucket
My favorite picture of the night-My dad's cousin-in-law

Photobucket
My sister's fiance on the drums

Photobucket
No more dress-Me & my little sister

Photobucket
Future Bro-In-Law

Photobucket
They're so nice to me!

Photobucket
I love him unconditionally 


And the lovely lady who inspired this post :)


She doesnt have many followers yet, so head on over and join her to read about her June wedding to her handsome soldier!


5 comments:

  1. I had the same cake topper only "I" picked it out, I thought it was adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel the same way. Watching the reality shows of brides and their planning or reading blogs about it kills me... I couldn't deal with any of that and even though I do want a "real ceremony" at one point, being married is what's important to me, not the wedding itself.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the topper is adorable as well, as did everyone at my wedding. I just think it's totally typical of my hubster to pick that out... If you see this comment you should change your settings so I can email you back directly when you comment. You have yours set so that no one can reply to your comments via email :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for mentioning me hun :) Eric and I talked about doing the court house thing but my parents were not having it and wanted us to have a "real" wedding. I think in the end I'll be happy we waited because I'm a typical girly-girl and have dreamed about my wedding for a long time. Knowing Eric won't likely deploy for at least a year has made it easier to wait but it's definitely still stressful planing it all out. I hope you are having a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this post so much! In the past week, I have cried TWICE over a location for the wedding declaring to fiance "I NEVER DREAMED ABOUT A WEDDING. I JUST WANT TO RUN AWAY!!!" Seriously contemplated getting married while in Vegas, but there would be too much military paperwork during our vacation...

    We are going to have a big wedding, but I am battling how to have a wedding without making it a stereotypical fairy tale. Right now, future hubs plans on pulled pork and fish tacos. HA!

    I am happy to know someone else thinks the same way as me!

    ReplyDelete