Tuesday, January 18, 2011

"Spice" up your kitchen!

I was feeling very crafty, and thanks to MLK we had an extra day this weekend for me to get started on some projects. I have 3 that I'll be posting about, starting with this "spicy" little number! Stay tuned for more throughout the week as I put the finishing touches on the others.

This one I'm not going to link back to a specific blog since sooooo many of you that I am now following have done this with different words.

I have an Italian/wine theme to my kitchen, and I wanted to add the word Mangia! My mom's side is Italian, and it's something my Nanny says to tell us to dig in any time we're eating at her house. I had originally wanted to find a wine-themed paper, but after searching at hobby lobby, AC Moore, and Michaels, I finally settled on this spice-themed paper from JoAnn's Fabric. It worked out really well because the blue on the paper is the same blue that my walls are painted!

Here's what I did:
Gathered my supplies! Letters .99 each at Hobby Lobby & the paper was .16 each (all paper is 6 for .96 this week at JoAnn's Fabric!! Go get some if you're crafty/a scrapper)

I only painted the edges since the scrapbook paper is super thick.

I traced the letters on the back so that I could try & save some of the extra paper. I'm not sure for what yet, but I HOARD craft supplies like no other. It's getting really bad. The hubs threatens to throw away my empty jars & I feel the anxiety building. lol

Have I every mentioned how much I like Mod Podge?! Well, I do!! I used it to make THIS coach ornament for my tree. I used it as "glue" to stick the paper down, then painted 2 coats over the top since it was super thick scrapbook paper

Made sure it was nice and stuck!

Isn't this the cutest paper for kitchen crafts?! And the blue is the same color as my walls!!

Then I used a razor blade to cut off the extra paper, and Voila! My master piece was complete! I'm not sure if you can tell, but I alternated my paper so the words weren't all going in the same direction. I knew if I tried to do them all one way, and they weren't all straight then it would drive me bananas. lol.



12 comments:

  1. That is the cutest idea. I think I'm gonna do something similar to that for my kitchen also, thanks for the idea hun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is super cute.. I built shelves for mine, but if I hadn't I'd totally do this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is awesome! FYI I will steal this idea from you. Just sayin'

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super cute! When I know I won't be able to get something straight, like letters on a scrapbook page, I do the same as your did and alternate them so it looks like I did it on purpose haha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this idea, so simple, but super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cool project! Fellow military wife / NC transplant (and new follower) here!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks great!!! I love your wall color!

    ReplyDelete