Saturday, February 5, 2011

Elephant Toothpaste and a SURPRISE

Friday was an AWESOME day at work. It was one of those days when it makes the crappy pay, long hours, and paperwork all worth it!!

In the morning I overheard one of my students saying "I want to be a teacher when I grow up. I'm going to be just like Mrs. _________" It totally melted my heart. Especially b/c he's one of my lowest students. He had a really rough year last year with a teacher who didn't really care for him... so he wasn't getting the help he needed. He's doing SOOO much better this year, and I feel beyond proud that it's because I'm motivating him to do his best.

On Friday afternoons we have clubs. I immediately decided I wanted to run the science club, because it's my all time favorite subject. Last year, I had more kids pass the science End Of Grade Test than any of the other classes (including the academically gifted class!!) This past Friday we made elephant toothpaste. If any of my readers have kids who like science, this is a super fun experiment, and it was pretty cheap too. You can go HERE to watch the video and get instructions.

Photobucket
They're touching it b/c it's an exothermic reaction, so it gives off heat!!

And the SURPRISE!! How many of ya'll have watched those videos on facebook where the deployed family member comes home & surprises someone? Well I got to see it first hand! All week D_____ has been telling me that his dad can't get on Skype any more because he's switching bases. He was sad because he wouldnt be able to see him anymore, just talk on the phone. Well during clubs mom came in looking for him. When he saw his dad, he immediately started sobbing. It was so sad, but so amazing to be a part of. He really had no idea that his dad was coming home!!




7 comments:

  1. The very last sentence of your post had me crying, how awesome!!! :')

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep put me in tears too! Its amazing how just reading those words about homecoming and not even seeing it can cause so much emotion to a person!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tears here too. So sweet and so awesome! How were you able to hold it together?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is absolutely adorable! I love a good homecoming story!

    Yay for your science EOG scores, that's fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My Friday in class was the same way. Sometimes those kids are so amazing, and it's nice to have a little reminder of why you're doing what you are!

    Also, Elephant Toothpaste will be in my lessons VERY soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. First of all, HUGE kudos to you for being the teacher that really helps out the kid who struggled last year.
    As for the surprise, that is awesome. I totally would have been tearing up {who are we kidding, I kind of am now just reading about it}

    ReplyDelete