Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Tex-Mex Chicken Stew

This is another one from my momma... this one comes from Slow Cooker Revolution

Time-4-6hrs on low (mine took 4 hrs)

2 onions, minced
2 jalapenos-seeded & minced
6 garlic cloves, minced
1 tbs tomato paste
1 tbs vegetable oil
1 tbs chili powder
4 cups chicken broth
1 can diced tomatoes
1/4 c minute tapioca (thickener)
1 tbs light brown sugar
3lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs
S&P (to season the chicken)
2 c frozen corn
1 15oz can black beans-drained & rinsed
1 canned chipotle chili in adobo sauce-minced
1/4 c fresh cilantro

I didn't follow the measurements above AT ALL. lol. I just added the ingredients, and winged it, so you def dont have to follow it exactly... I wanted a larger batch so I had tons of leftovers... I also added celery, mushrooms & rice to mine.

First microwave the onions, veggie oil, tomato paste, jalapenos, chili powder, and garlic for 5 minutes (softens the onions for you)

Drop it in your slow cooker (I used a stock pot on low since my crock pot isnt very big) and stir in broth, tomatoes, tapioca & chicken-Cook on low until chicken is cooked through

Pull out the chicken thighs and shread them-Add remaining ingredients and heat through. Last I tossed in some rice (the more broth, the more rice you can add... I used two boxes of fat free/low sodium broth, so I added about 3 c of rice) and simmer until rice is tender.

Top with a little shredded cheese and enjoy :)




No comments:

Post a Comment