Friday, March 16, 2012

Ohhhhhhh Korea

My poor, poor husband gets to spend the next 9 months like a pregnant lady, thanks to Korea...

My husband spent a year in Korea before coming here to Bragg, where we met. According to the Army doctors, there pretty sure that's where he contracted tuberculoses. Awesome right?! Thanks Army for endangering his life with a deadly airborne disease! Thankfully my husband has a pretty stellar immune system, and his TB is dormant, otherwise he could have passed it to me... which would have been all sorts of no good since it's much more fatal in infants.

For those of you who have no idea about what happens to someone with TB (like me until a week ago!), it starts with 9 months of antibiotics. If the hubs takes these antibiotics the way he's supposed to, then they should get rid of his TB with no problem, however, if he screws around with taking them, they might have to change his dosage.

So how is it like being pregnant:
1-No drinking for the next 9 months... the antibiotics can cause liver failure if you take them and drink
2-Drs appointments galore... the hubs will have to go in every month for the next 9 months to get blood drawn, to make sure his antibiotics are working
3-He's on a restricted diet... he's going to have to cut some of his favorites out of his diet because they interact with the medications... just like being pregnant, they urge him to stay away from hot dogs/deli meat.

Although this is no laughing matter, and I totally feel for the hubs having this not cool disease, when he compared it to being pregnant, I couldn't help but laugh at the fact that he was getting a small taste of my misery :)


1 comment:

  1. Oh my! In nursing school we learned about the TB treatment. As a nurse, I haven't never even had a patient with TB so it all blows my mind. Whoa!

    ReplyDelete