Monday, June 11, 2012

Tex-Mex Chicken Stew

My mom sent me this recipe from the book "Slow Cooker Revolution," and I adapted it a little. I have a smaller size crock pot, so I make this in a 12q stock pot on the stove. I like to have extra for the hubs to take to work.

1. Dice up a few Vidalia onions (I used 3 small) and sauté them with a little bit of oil on med/low until soft.

2. Throw in some diced jalapeños... The recipe calls for 2 fresh ones, but I'm lazy, so I got the pre-diced nacho type.

3. Throw in some minced garlic (recipe calls for 6 cloves, again I used pre-minced) and some chili powder.

4. Once the onions are tender, toss in a can of diced tomatoes w/chilis (I used 2) a tablespoon of tomato paste (I skipped this part bc I knew I'd end up not using the rest of the can & throwing it away) and 2 cans/1 box of chicken stock (I always do low sodium) you also are supposed to add 1/4c of minute tapioca and a tsp of light brown sugar, but I'm sure you could skip them (I didn't)

5. Take 6 or so chicken thighs and push them down into the broth... It says to salt & pepper them but I didn't bother since I didn't use the yicky skin.

6. Cook on low for 4 hrs or so until your chicken is done. Pull it out & shred it, then toss it back in, minus the skin/bones/cartilage

7. Add a can of black beans, drained (I used 2), a can of chipoltes in adobo sauce (diced) and 2 cups of frozen corn (I also added mushrooms)

8. Cook another 10 minutes or so until the corn is done on medium

9. I add minute rice to mine as well. You only need a cup more or less bc it will obviously expand! Take it off the heat & let it stand, covered for 10 more minutes for the rice to cook

10. Top with cilantro & shredded cheddar

11. Enjoy :)

1 comment:

  1. Yum! This looks so good. Any recipe that's this easy is definitely being made.

    ReplyDelete