Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Why I'm not voting today

All week people have been preaching about it being our civic duty to vote. While I get that, it's still not going to change my opinion about THIS election. I will not be voting today.

I've voted in the past two presidential elections. I'm not saying I'm against voting. I'm just against signing my name for something I don't back just because its my "duty," and I personally don't think either of these men are right for our country.

I'm registered as a democrat, because at 18, I really didn't have an opinion, so I affiliated myself with the party which represents the state I'm from. Since I've gotten older, I've leaned more towards the republican side, but I don't agree 100% with either party. I've voted for both republican & democratic presidential candidates.

As a spouse of a soldier, I don't support Obamas stance on the military. I also dont agree with his heathcare ideas, among other things. As someone who is somewhat middle class, I definitely don't support Romney. And therefore, on this Election Day, I will vote for neither.

2 comments:

  1. There is always the option to write in your candidate, or skip the presidential part all together. You don't have to vote on every part of the ballot. It's a bummer you had to miss out today. In addition to voting for president my ballot had a lot of local county and state issues that I voted on that are important as well.

    Hopefully next time you'll get to vote. I really hope you do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also didn't vote. As a military spouse I am registered in a state that I don't currently live and I didn't request my absentee ballot in time, but I'm not heartbroken. I wouldn't have voted for Romney or Obama, I would have voted independent. People always say "well then you don't get to complain about policies if you don't vote." I don't complain :) so no one has to worry about that, ha!

    ReplyDelete