Friday, June 14, 2013

Guess who's back

Hello out there! Not sure if anyone is still listening, but if not, that's okay. I've been gone from the blogging scene for quite some time. Working & being a new mom, while prepping for a cross country move was more than I could handle. I didnt really pick up my computer over the last few months other than to upload photos to facebook.

Since my last post, we managed to make the 4,500+ trip from good ole North Carolina to Alaska in 11 days. It was long days of driving. Wanting to kill my husband. A week and a half of pure hell. But, we made it, and I couldn't be happier with living in Alaska. This is truly one of the most beautiful places on earth, and I'm blessed to be living here.

One of the main reasons I wanted to get back into blogging was because I'm going to attempt 30 days of vegetarianism. I'm not really into it because of the health benefits. I've been modifying our diet for a while now, and I try to do a lot of clean eating... However, one of my guy friends from college has been posting on facebook a lot lately about the dog meat market in Asia. The pictures are truly horrific, and talking with my husband (who was in Korea for a year) about it, has really made me sick. I absolutely adore my dogs. I could never imagine them being treated like that. I just don't know how people can do that to an animal... and while reading his posts, and becoming infuriated, I started seeing more an more about the way animals in our country are slaughtered and I cried. Like a baby. Imagining those poor cows getting skinned alive. I've heard about the process not being so nice before, but to actually sit down and read quotes from slaughter house employees was sickening. Cutting their throats is one thing, but skinning and boiling animals alive is beyond excuse. So with that, I'm going to stop eating slaughterhouse meats. I'm not going to completely cut meat out of my diet forever, I'm just not eating any meat that may or may not have come from an animal that was abused while it was alive. No more supermarket meat for this kid.

Both my dad and my husband have hunted for years, and I won't be cutting out game meat forever. It may seem somewhat hypocritical, but to me, it makes sense... I believe in the food chain, and I've seen far too many animals getting hit by cars & left on the side of the road to rot due to overpopulation. The main road from our house to base boasts 214 dead moose. A brown bear was killed by a car just outside of base last week... I know we are completely to blame for taking over their habitats, but what can we do at this point in time to give it back to them? Alaska is pretty rad though. They donate moose hit by cars to local food banks if they can. Kudos for not having an animal die in vain.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm not against eating meat. Man had been doing it for the entire length of its existence. I am however against animal abuse in all shapes and forms... so with that. I'm going to give this a go.

I'd like to try my hand at becoming vegan for a while, since dairy farm conditions aren't much better, but I have a serious love affair with cheese. I need to find a great farmers market around here that has local farmers who don't abuse their livestock to support.

If anyone out there is still listening... share your favorite vegetarian meals.

Also, I'm in need of a new blog look since I am no longer in NC, so if anyone knows someone who can help me out. Let me know how to contact them.




1 comment:

  1. Yay, you're back! Glad you made it to Alaska safely and are loving it.

    If you need a really great/affordable blog designer, check out Melanie at Adorability Desighs - http://www.adorabilitydesigns.com/

    ReplyDelete