Monday, July 29, 2013

Seafood Potpie

This is a recipe I adapted from my mom, who got it from my uncle, who got it from who knows where. lol. If its your recipe, let me know and I'll give you credit :)

First thing you will need to do is dice up 3-5 large potatoes and get them boiling. Then make the crust. I made a double batch (because my husband could eat one all by himself) so I think I made 3 batches of crust using THIS Martha Stewart recipe that I adapted a little bit. You'll probably want to make 2 batches, depending on the size and shape of your dish.

I used:
1 cup of whole wheat flour
1 cup of unbleached white flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 stick of butter
1/4 cup of EVOO

I didnt want to put two sticks of butter in it (mainly because I didnt have enough) so I subbed in some oil, but I'm not sure if that made it better or worse for you. lol You can use whatever flour you like. I would have made it all whole wheat, but the hubs hates it, so had to compromise.

Cream all your ingredients together, roll them out, and place them in your dish. Be sure to cover the sides.

 Once your potatoes are cooked, add them to your pie crust. You also will be adding whatever other veggies you'd like. My moms recipe called for a can of VegAll, but its healthier to use fresh or frozen.

 Next you're going to make your filling. In a large skillet, mix 2 cups of stock (I used organic veggie, but chicken is fine too) 6tbsp of flour and bring it to a boil. Make sure you stir it often or the flour will goop up. Once it boils, add 1 cup of 1/2 and 1/2, and whatever seafood you'd like. I used shrimp and imitation crabmeat. My mom normally uses scallops too, but they're super expensive here, and we're on a budget now that we only have one income. Boo :(

 Pour over the veggies into the pie crust

Top with the rest of your pie crust
(I'm not a food blogger, so don't judge my horrible looking crust)

Let it stand 10-15 minutes before you cut it so that it sets up. My darling husband couldn't wait, so it turned into a runny mess, but it sure was tasty!



No comments:

Post a Comment