Wednesday, July 24, 2013

That time I ruined spaghetti squash (recipe)...

...and by ruined, I mean I took a perfectly healthy vegetable, and made it taste AMAZING, but oh so bad for you.

I tried THIS recipe off of pinterest, and it was just as delicious as it looks. Creamy, garlicy heaven. I few weeks later I bought a spaghetti squash from walmart, because they are one of our favorite veggies. I didnt really have a plan for how I was going to cook it. Normally, we just add a little butter and parmesan cheese. That got my little brain thinking of the spaghetti recipe, and I thought why not?

Here is the original recipe for the pasta version:

Creamy Garlic Pasta
2 tsp olive oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp butter
¼  tsp salt
½ tsp pepper
3 cups chicken stock
½ lb spaghetti or angel hair pasta
1 cup grated parmesan cheese
¾ cup heavy cream
2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
In a pot, bring the olive oil to medium-low heat. Add the garlic and stir, allowing it to cook for 1-2 minutes. Mix in the butter until melted. Add the salt, pepper and chicken stock. Raise the heat to high and let it come to a boil.

Once it is at a rolling boil, add the pasta and cook for as long as the box’s directions indicate. Reduce the stove to medium heat and mix in the parmesan until completely melted. Turn off the heat and stir in the cream and parsley. Serve immediately.

Instead of boiling the pasta in stock, all you need to do is cut your spaghetti squash in half the long way, pull the seeds out of the center, and put it UPSIDE DOWN on a plate with a little bit of water on it. Toss it in the microwave for 10 minutes. If you can't fork the flesh out easily, then put it in for a few more minutes. You can also bake it on 350 for around 30 minutes, but I'm impatient. ha! 

You will basically follow the rest of the recipe. Brown your garlic a little bit in olive oil, then add your squash. Melt in the butter, then add the parmesan cheese, heavy cream (I always use 1/2 and 1/2 to make it a little less unhealthy), and parsley. Enjoy!





1 comment: