Monday, August 12, 2013

Adventures in cloth diapering



With me not working, I figured I would give cloth diapering a try. When I was working, I'd be lucky if I did laundry once a week, so there was no way I could have kept up with cloth diapering... maybe if I had a normal 9-5 job, but coming home and having to grade papers and get lessons together on top of cooking and cleaning, there was no way.

I sat down and totaled up what I would spend on diapers til the critter turned 2 1/2 to make sure it would be worth it, and I'll be saving a bundle.

Reading THIS post by a fellow Erin over at Erin's Diary is what sparked my initial interest into checking out cloth diapering. She broke it down into everything needed, and it didnt seem like such a chore at all. I also just happened to be checking out the sites she suggested while Kawaii was having a 25% off sale. Score! I ended up getting around 20 diapers (some with double inserts) and a wetbag for about $130, and flushable liners, so I didnt have to get a diaper sprayer.

Alva baby definitely had way cuter patterns, but they're not as absorbent. It might have helped that the ones I got from Kawaii were overnight diapers. The critter drinks water like its going out of style, which means she's a heavy wetter, so I just double up the inserts, and we're good to go. Even with two inserts, we're snapping her on the smallest setting (she's itty bitty... 6th percentile for weight) so we'll be able to use these for quite a while! Hopefully, they'll get us through potty training... but even if we have to buy some larger size cloth diaps, we'll still be saving some cash... and her tush looks so much cuter in 
these! 


Critterbug was as excited to tear into that package as I was!

So cute! 

Like the marker all over the carpet? We had some people over a few weekends ago and my friend Chelsea and I ran to the store since our husbands swore up and down they could handle the 3 kiddos... We were gone for less than 30 minutes and returned to find marker all over the carpet, and both girls screaming at the baby gate at the door for Mama while my husband chatted on the phone, and hers enjoyed a beer with some other friends on the porch. Ughhh, MEN!! Lol





 photo Signature2_zps9a1e9a3d.jpg

2 comments:

  1. Yay for cloth diapering! Good luck I have done it some they definitely are cuter ;) I hope you will keep us updated!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just thinking about if it was worth it to start cloth diapering at 18 months...for the same reasons. Can't wait to hear how it goes for you, now to convince my husband.

    ReplyDelete