1. We ventured down to the Kenai Peninsula. I'd never been down South that far, so it was a new adventure to me. My parents had been there when they had come down a few years ago. Its a lot warmer down in Kenai that it was in Denali, so we got to enjoy the gorgeous fall sights a little more than in my last weeks post.
She loves "jumping" lately
2. We checked out some pretty gorgeous glaciers in Whittier, AK on the way back. These pictures are kind of muted, because it was such an overcast day, but they are the prettiest blue color.
Watch out Titanic, the water is full of icebergs!
The salmon are done spawning, and are turning white... their lives are nearing an end.
3. We also checked out Jim's Creek Gold Mine in Girdwood, Alasak
$20/day to pan, and $10 to walk the grounds and see all the relics left behind by the miners
The miners used "hydraulic mining," which basically means that they blasted the mountains with water and washed the gold out (my dad is obsessed with mining, and loves learning about it)
Who needs ice?! In Alaska all you need is a spring to keep your drinks ice cold!
My heart shaped rock
Critterbug loves picking up rocks. She always has pockets full.
Collecting rocks in her cup
She crossed this bridge 23458304953 times. She thought she was so big!
We even spotted part of the famous Iditarod Trail that starts in my town (Wasilla)
(These two were taken in Wasilla, not in Girdwood, but I wanted to share them also b/c they go with the Ititarod trail picture we found.
4. My dad & I did some salmon fishing. Pardon the fact that I look like a sumo wrestler. It was cold and I was wearing two pairs of sweat pants, and like four shirts. Ha!
Look, my dad caught a King!! Ha ha!
5. We also visited the Pacific!! Not technically the ocean, but we checked out the Cook Inlet, which is part of the Knik Arm that connects to the Pacific. This is my first time on the West Coast, so I'm still fascinated with the Pacific Ocean. Its on my Alaska Bucketlist to swim in it (and dip my toe into the Arctic) which I will try and get posted on my tabs up top as soon as I find the notebook I wrote it in :/
She looks thrilled